Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sweet Tooth!

I've really been interested in expanding my baking knowledge and possibly doing something with it in the future. It started with Krishna Meal...we have a lot of friends that are vegan, and the meal was mostly if not all vegan. I did peppermint patties, rice crispie treats, cakes, peanut butter balls, etc. These things are very rare to come across when you are vegan, unless you make them yourself. Even being vegetarian and not eating eggs makes it hard to find sweets anywhere that we can eat. It's pretty awesome to be able to bake sweets for our vegan friends and have them really enjoy it and appreciate it!
I always thought of how cool it would be to have a sweet shop that only had vegan/vegetarian sweets! When we visited Asheville, we visited a place called Short Street Cakes! (you can find pictures of it in my Asheville blog) I was thrilled to see that they actually had vegan cupcakes...but noticed that they weren't ONLY selling vegan treats! Why? Why be able to cook such awesome little vegan treats...and not do it solely? People would seriously travel just for that! I have had it on my mind ever since. That would be so awesome to have that here! And I should be the one to do it, right? Well, I'm dreaming big...and hopefully I can stay motivated! I started my 1st cake decorating class last week. I will probably be posting updates and new things that I do each week. It's starting very, very basic...but I think this will be good for me. I have to make myself find the time though, to bake up new treats! I really enjoy being creative and I'm hoping this all works out! I think it would be awesome and fun to do! Any vegan readers out there? What do you think? :-)


This is my first icing rose!

We learned all types or borders. These were the 1st ones that I tried. Some of them are pretty un-attractive (not to mention that I'm not very good at)..haha. I will improve!

Tonight we are doing a character cake! The awesome thing about this class...is that we get to bake our cakes! So, we can actually eat it when it's finished, and I don't have to feel wierd about decorating an egg filled cake. ;-)

UPDATE!
This is from my 2nd class. I'm not going to publicly mention my feelings on this class...I will do that later. I will say that I did this COMPLETELY on my own. No help at all! Not bragging...more disappointed really. Anyways, more on that later...
I didn't notice until later that night that Ariel's forehead is a quite unusual shape..haha. That side should have been her hair. I just didn't sit back and take it all in to notice. This cake was for Gracie...Ariel is her all time favorite character. She loved it! <3

Before:

After:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment so that I know someone is out there...