Saturday, June 4, 2011


I have been super slack on updating this lately. I've just been feeling a little un-motivated to do much at all other than run. I've been running for about 3 months now, give or take. I'm trying to get use to carrying on with normal, everyday life after I come home for a run but that hasn't been happening. Usually I will run, and then come home and crash for pretty much the rest of the day. It's pretty pathetic really. I am just hoping (as well as my family)...that my body will get use to it and allow me to carry on with enough energy for the rest of the day. You're probably wondering why I do it if it is so exhausting. I can't really sum it up any better than, I am just addicted. 3-4 months ago, I hated it. I was always getting injuries whenever I would try to run, whether it was shin splints or a stress fracture. I joined a running group and we gradually worked our way up. We started running 1 min, walking 2 min and doing that for about 30 min total. I looked at the schedule and noticed that in a few weeks time they would expect me to run for 11 min and so on. I thought I could never do that. My breathing was terrible, my legs and knees killed me, etc. I pushed through. It sucked. But before I knew it...I was running a mile, then two, three, four. I stuck with 4 for quite sometime...and I still do that. But yesterday, I did 6 miles with no stopping. I honestly felt like I could do more if I had the time. I seriously wake up most mornings, and feel super sad if my schedule doesn't allow me to run. It's crazy. Who knew that I would feel this way about something I hated so much months ago. Running definitely grows on you and it's such an awesome feeling when you break personal records. 

My first official run was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Winston Salem. I was so excited to do it, but nervous at the same time. I had to work the night before...so I packed the car with my running gear and went to the race straight from work. I went alone and that was a little intimidating. I'm not use to running without my girls from our group. 


This was my first racing bib! Eeeeek! I need to frame it! :)



This was the walk to the starting line from the bus. It's a little hard to see...but that's quite a line. 



There were over 10,000 people signed up to race that morning. Wow! I tried to get good pictures of the crowd but was unsuccessful. I am way too short to get head shots of crowds. I stole this from my (much taller) friend Stacey's page. She was there also, but there was no way I could find her in this crowd! I was waaaaaaay up there where the balloon arch was. 



The lessons that I learned from this race are... Get at the very front of the crowd if you don't want to dodge walkers, and women with strollers. I, personally, would never want to have my kid in a stroller in front of 10k people pushing through a starting line. Call me crazy! But, yes it seriously happened. It took me about 3-4 minutes to push through them and actually get started. Ugh! 
Also, I bought a HUGE waist pack thinking that it would be awesome to hold my phone, keys, gatorade, etc. in. Boy was that the dumbest thing ever. It added about 5 lbs to my rear and bounced up and down the ENTIRE time. I seriously considered trashing it in the barrel on my run even though I just bought it the day before. It affected my run so badly. 

I finished in 43:09. I don't race for time. That's really not my goal. However, I was pretty happy with that time considering new course that I had never ran, the stroller/walker holdup, and the waist pack dilemma. I had a bittersweet finish though. Although...I probably would have been super embarrassed to have people waiting for me at the finish line...no one was there. It was my first race, and to see people there cheering on their family/friends as they crossed the finish. I was alone. :( And like I said, I probably would have hated them see me as sweaty and exhausted as I was...it was still a little heart breaking. 
But, I did it. I finished it and ran the entire time. I was proud and still am of the progress that I've made. 


There will be loads more, hopefully...and I can't wait to share them with you. My next run is the Marine Mud Run next Saturday. I will be running a 5k while going through creeks, climbing muddy hills, running through the pine needled forest and tromping though 3 mud pits and countless obstacles...all while hardcore marines are yelling at me. Sound like fun?! Hopefully I will live to tell you about it! :)

Update: Some things I forgot to mention: I have lost 13 lbs since I started running. I have lots more to lose...but am so excited about that. It is definitely a good activity if you are interested in losing weight. That's not the only reason I do it...but definitely a nice bonus! :)
Also, if you are a runner and need something to carry your things in...I have recently discovered SpiBelt. It is AMAZING. It looks super tiny, but it expands and holds so much. I have a Droid X (huge phone)...and NONE of the running packs would hold my phone and that is the reason I originally bought the large waist pack.
My phone, Ipod, keys, cards will fit in it and not bounce at all. And their customer service is awesome. I highly recommend it. :)



6 comments:

  1. You are so awesome Haley!! Keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww...you are sweet! How are your runs going? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats haley, that IS a huge accomplishment! can you believe that i have never gone running. even in school i always just walked the track during gym. i hated it back then, but maybe i should try now? you should be very proud of yourself. sorry you were alone at the finish line <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lauren! You should definitely give it a shot. Well...a few shots. I was never a runner...ever! I walked tge track in high school, etc. I never had an urge to run until about a year or so ago. I kept trying (on my own) and would always run into knee problems or severe shin splints and that would force me to rest. I always seemed to give up because I didn't have anyone there to motivate me to keep up with it. Then I joined the program at the Y and met a lot of awesome girls and we have a great time! It would be nice for you because you have a husband that rubs too. I keep trying to get paul to just try it...but he's not interested at all. Oh well. Its not for everyone...but im happy that its for me. Im enjoying it! :-) thanks for the sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *wow...typos! Sorry...typing on a tiny droid keypad. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment so that I know someone is out there...