Sunday, June 12, 2011

USMC Mud Run 2011


On June 11, I ran my first Mud Run 5k! I have been training for this for the past couple of months and it was AWESOME! We had such a good time. This was ran by the USMC and raised money for Toys for Tots, Wounded and Homeless Veterans, and a few other charities. There were over 2200 people signed up to race the event. This course was 5k (3.1 miles) of creeks, muddy hills, mud pits, climbing logs, rope hills, and TONS of other fun obstacles. I was so worried about wearing myself out halfway into the race but my adrenaline was at max the entire time, and we pushed through like champs. I was so proud. I was on a team of 4 and we had to run it together and finish together. One of our teammates got injured in the first creek but she did such an awesome job throughout and finished strong. Our time was 59 minutes with at least 15 of that waiting in line at the obstacles. It was great! 
Here are some pictures of our day! 

We arrived at about 8am. Our run was not until 10:15 (group run), but I had some friends doing the individual run at 8am and I wanted to get there to see them finish. I was only able to see 2 out of 3 friends finish. They did such an awesome job! We had a long wait after that until our race started. It was beginning to get hot and a little humid. We took a lot of before pictures with our groups. 



This was my group, the Mud Pies! 


A beautiful view of Pilot Mountain in the distance (and the line of portable potties) haha.



This is an appropriate estimate...if it wasn't for the waiting. The entry into the woods, creeks are pretty narrow, so when you are trying to fit 1000 people through there...it gets pretty backed up fast. 
It was nice to rest, but we were ready to go!!


Oops, this one is out of place. This is where a lot of people stashed their muddy shoes after the race. I chose to save mine for next year. A little mud never ruined anything. :)


The lines for the showers were out of control. I think we probably had to wait a good 20 min or so to get rinsed off a tad. 



The finish line mud pit. This was the 3rd mud pit of the course (and the longest)! 


another before shot snuck in there...


This was the Mud Run Training Group from the Stokes YMCA. I have made a lot of awesome friends in this group and am so proud of us all! 


Coming into the last Mud Pit and we all had to lock arms and finish as a team. 



The Marines are in the pit splashing you and yelling (in an encouraging way) at you to finish strong. 



At this point, it's flat on the belly swimming and crawling through the end. Almost there! 


Nice and Muddy! :)

4 comments:

Please comment so that I know someone is out there...