Friday, September 10, 2010

Hillsville Labor Day Festival...

On Saturday, Sept 4th, our friends Mandy, Lacherie, and Marley came to pick us up to go to the Hillsville Labor Day Festival. In case you've never been..the whole town (it seems) turns into a giant flea market. It's one solid mile of booths on either side of the road. There is also big lots off of the road that hold several hundred more booths. Houses along the town also have yard sales. It's pretty serious! (and crazy)
Paul slept (3rd shifter), so the kiddos & I went and spent the afternoon with them there. It's always so cool to go and see what all there is, but we never seem to buy much. My mom did a booth this year with my stepdad. She sold jewelry and purses, etc. I made some jasmine sugar scrubs to sell along with the earrings that I've been making. There were approx. 50,000 people that attended over the holiday. We were basically shoulder to shoulder walking through the crowd with 2 strollers and a walking 8 year old. Yikes. We only last a couple of hours. :-/


This was a windmill that we saw on the drive up. I still have yet to figure out how to take pictures from afar and not have them turn out fuzzy...

These were my purchases. An awesome potato peeler, and a sweet Pyrex bowl. I loved it at the sale, and had my mom go back to pick it up. I still love it a lot...but it just doesn't go with my new kitchen. :(
Oh wait...I did also get some awesome candle holders. I forgot to take a picture of them, but they are really cute metal fall leaves. We were thinking ahead for Fall/Thanksgiving decorating! (Good job Lacherie!) :)

This was my set up for the sugar scrubs. Turns out, people in Hillsville aren't too into the art of exfoliation. :(

This is a picture of the mile long flea market. (I stole this from google, since it was too chaotic and I wasn't able to stop traffic to get a good shot)
Sweet!! I can't tell you how happy I was to see these. This booth had lots of Halloween things. It made me happy. Too bad I didn't have the room to take them home. Maybe next year!


One day, I will have a huge garden full of beautiful plants, and blooming flowers and these doors will adorn the entrance. Yeah right! I can only keep a venus fly trap alive...isn't that odd to say that the only plant you can keep alive is something that kills other living things?! Such a bummer! :(


Gracie & her lovely umbrella that she bought.

Isn't this house awesome?! We passed this on the way and I loved it! It was in desperate need of a paint job...but still so cool. I need to research to see what this is. It's some museum of some sort. I'll keep you updated when I find out...

And I'll leave you with some beautiful shots of the mountains...





1 comment:

  1. i have no idea where hillsville is, haha, but wow i want to go to that sale! how awesome! but sounds like it is one that you need to do childless. awww, what it would be like to be able to go anywhere without a child attached to your hip :)

    love the pumpkin items, and the photos of the mountains! <3

    p.s. i think alanna has that exact same parasol too!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment so that I know someone is out there...