Sunday, January 1, 2012

13.1 MILES!!

 I ran 13.1 miles on December 3rd, 2011, and I still can't believe it. I was alone the entire run, which was not the way I had pictured it.  I know I would have done a lot better mentally and physically if I had someone there with me. My running partner was out of town, and the girls that I rode with, were not at my pace. 
It was very cold that day, and the run was supposed to start at 8:15. The organizers were not very organized and we started about 45 minutes late. That was a LONG 45 minutes to stand around waiting...freezing...and waiting some more. 

These are the girls in the half marathon training group. I was not part of that group. I was still in my 10k (6 miles) training when this group started. 



I had planned on training on my own. That was a bad idea. It's very hard to motivate yourself to stay on plan...well it is for me anyways. So about 3 weeks before the race, the farthest I had ever ran was 7 miles. I decided to go running with these girls and Allison (my most favorite trainer ever!) one day. 
That day I ran 10 miles! I will never forget it! 
My knees will never forget it either. I don't think they have forgiven me since. I should have trained. I went from 7 miles to 10...and then 3 weeks later I did the 13.1. 
It was painful. I'm not going to lie. I wasn't prepared. I think that's why I am so shocked that I completed it. I will definitely do it again, but I will do several things differently. 

I am proud of myself though. I have accomplished a lot this year. Things that I never thought that I would do. I use to feel so bad about my self. Every single day! I would wake up feeling bad, think about how bad I felt all day, then go to sleep feeling bad. I can't tell you how many years this went on. 
I kept saying things will change, and then they never would. 

But, finally they did. I am no where near where I need to be, but I feel so much better. 

I have to thank my friend Allison (who will probably never read this) who helped me from the beginning. I love working with her so much! She is an inspiration, and is there for me every step of the way. She was always there to talk, listen, and train me in the most insane ways. I need a lot more of her in my life...

(Allison is that tall hot chick in the middle) :)


Also, my running partner Carolene. She is so strong and so dedicated, and I keep trying to catch up with her, but it's impossible. I'm so glad I found her to run with. If it wasn't for her, I'd have not completed half those miles. I only wished she had been there for the half with me. :(

(Carolene is standing next to me...this is from our Mud Run this past summer)


I was running the last mile, and I didn't think I'd make it. My knees were killing me. I was pretty tired to say the least. I remember seeing this man walking back towards me, and he had a medal around his neck. I yelled "Congrats...that's so awesome!" thinking he had placed up there to get that medal. He said "You are doing awesome, you're almost there..go get your medal!" That small little materialistic thing...that beautiful gleaming medal was going to be mine?! haha. Seems so ridiculous but I was so excited from there on out. I was going to get that FREAKING MEDAL!!!! 
The fact that the dude was walking back, cooled off, and  probably sat around having some beverages and chit chatting while I was still running the race did not faze me. I didn't care that I wasn't up front with the big dogs. 
It doesn't matter how fast you are or how long it takes you. It doesn't matter if you have to stop and take a breath, or if you are the type of person that needs to walk it, etc. I was 10 miles into the race and I passed a lady that was on her 5th....and I was proud of her. 
I finally crossed that finish line, and I felt like crap.  My knees were about to give out. I could barely walk to the car but I was happy. 
My husband thinks I'm a crazo. I'm addicted. Maybe it's the running, or maybe it's just the feeling of accomplishment...but it's a great feeling.

Here's that medal!



...and a little love for my car too! :)





5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Very motivating post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley tears as I read this! I am so freaking proud of you! I know that pain iv felt it before, its hard but you are strong! I love you and you inspire me! Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, I love you gals. Thanks for the comments. They mean a lot!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haley- We haven't spoken in a couple years almost, but I still think of you often. I've always thought that you were a beautiful and caring woman, with a kind heart. It is so nice to see you appreciating yourself for the great person you are! I love you girl! --Sarah S

    ReplyDelete

Please comment so that I know someone is out there...