Sunday, November 13, 2011

Jai's turn...


Jai came down with a fever on Friday around noon. We headed out the doctor out of fear of strep, since Gracie has had it for the past couple of weeks. Test was negative. We were told it was just a virus and to watch him to make sure no other symptoms arose. I got a call from the doctor later that evening telling me that since he had not been immunized for flu, that was a concern although "statistically it was a virus". So, keep temp controlled, watch for stiff neck, headache, any changes. So, we were up all night terrified of changes of course. He did develop headache, and vomited. We made it though the night... (just a little sleep deprived). So, on Saturday, he slept for a while, and temp was under control with no meds. Yay! He was still complaining of headache but nurse advised that fever would cause headache. 
The evening rolls along, and he's complaining that his neck hurts a little. I'm thinking meningitis. My heart skips a beat or two. Don't overreact mommy, just watch him closely. He's acting totally fine. Keep in mind, this little boy is pretty much a trooper through sickness. He still can put a smile on his face even through the suffering. It's pretty amazing.

Daddy and I sit down to watch a movie, and he decides to watch Madagascar on the computer. I wrap him up in a blanket and he gets excited. He walks over to us about 20 minutes later with his head basically down to his chest complaining that he can't move neck and that it hurts. My heart skips quite a few beats (at least it seems) as I look at Paul, and we just give each other the 'to the hospital' look. I scooped him up and half dressed myself in non- pj clothes (which I had been living in for 2 days), and out the door we went.

We went to the Brenner's Children's Emergency and they took us back almost immediately. 
This was basically how he was holding his neck, even when walking. 


He wanted a toy to play with while we waited, so I had to improvise. This was better than a store bought toy..haha. He loved it...for hours.




See that smile?! I told you he was a trooper...




They ruled out meningitis after a little examination, but they thought maybe he had an abscess in his neck because of a little swelling. We had to do blood tests and CT scan. The blood test was the worst...although the CT scan was quite scary for him too. He screamed and screamed with the blood test. It was so awful because it look like his vein rolled (like mine) and they couldn't get it right away. It was torture for all of us. Poor baby!

They FINALLY got it. He was so upset.


...but smiled when he saw the camera. haha.


We went for the CT scan which they had set up like a pirate ship. The bed was moving back and forth like a 'ride'. He didn't find that fun. It was loud, and they strapped his head down (which terrified him). He was in it for about 2 minutes, but it seemed like forever. I hate that he had to go through all of this. I knew it was for the best, but to not be able to scoop them up and let them know that you're protecting them...it's really hard. 
In the end, nothing showed up on CT scan, and blood tests showed elevated white blood cells. Diagnosis (after 3.5 hours) was infected lymph nodes in his neck. They gave some antibiotics followed by chocolate milk, which made him happy. He was very thirsty throughout the ordeal, but they wouldn't let him have anything to drink due to the testing. 


Next morning, he is feeling better already. So thankful for that. :)


I am so thankful for healthy babies. I know that sometimes we take that for granted, but it was a wake up call. I love my kiddos so much, and it breaks my heart when they are sick. 
Scoop those babies up, give them loving kisses and hugs. Thank God for how blessed we are to have them in our lives. I would be nothing without my kids. They are amazing. 





2 comments:

  1. Haley, you guys are very blessed as we all are, your right! You are wonderful parents! Im very glad that my little Jai is okay. Next time PLEASE call me (I dont care what time) so I can pray for you guys! Thats what family is for... We love you! Give my swetie jai a big AUntie rita hug

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will, Rita! I love you mama! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment so that I know someone is out there...