Sunday, April 18, 2010

EARTH DAY!

On Saturday, we attended our 3rd Earth Day Fair in Winston Salem. This was the 3rd one that's been held. This was the first one that Paul has attended with us, so it was really nice for him to come out with us and we enjoyed a nice family day!

I had to snap this picture for my brother. He is absolutely crazy over VW's...and this was super awesome! The only bummer was that they wanted $13,500 for it!! Wow...good luck selling it! :)




Every year, there is always kids activities set up. The activities this year were for each kid to go to 12 different booths and do certain things to earn bottle caps. Once they've collected 12 bottle caps, they turn those in and are able to vote with them for a particular organization. The organization that has the most votes in the end, received a generous donation from the Earth Day Fair. It was a very nice concept, however, it's a lot of work for the kiddos and their parents. We weren't able to see all that we wanted due to the fact that we were chasing around these 12 booths before our time to leave. I was a little bummed because Paul had to go to sleep around 1 (he works 3rd shift). So as soon as we were done collecting bottle caps, it was time to go. :( But, Gracie had a great time, and that's what counts, right?! :) Sorry for the long explanation, but that summed up our mission for the day once we got there.
Here is a picture of Gracie after she turned in her bottle caps.

Our wonderful friends, Arci & Dulal had a tent set up selling "veggie-ball subs". They were made out of Kafta Balls (cauliflower and flour rolled into a ball and fried), and were absolutely amazing! We were a little bummed at first because last year they had pakoras (fried cauliflower) with a tomato chutney sauce...and once we arrived we realized that what we had been looking forward to would not be served. :( However, they were amazing as I mentioned before...and we were quite pleased. Arci is such an amazing cook! I sent Paul off to take a picture of the plate of food...but as I returned home, I realized he had obviously not saved it on his phone so I can't show you. Bummer! Here is a picture of their tent though.


Here is a picture of Paul and I. I teased him about all of his white hair in his scruff...but he is more handsome than ever and I love it. I am a lucky girl.



They had HUGE wooden tree swings set up under the big shade trees. They were amazing. I really want to do one of these in our back yard. Our trees aren't nearly as big...but it was so neat how it glided for so long and so smooth. Gracie loved it! According to her...the swings at the playground could never compare to these. I'm not sure if they put them up just for Earth Day Fair or if they're always there...but we may have to go back someday just to see.



All in all, it was a great day! I really enjoyed spending time as a family. With work, and school, home & garden activities, it's hard for us to go off and enjoy a nice day together. The weather was perfect! Hopefully we can do things like this more often. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment so that I know someone is out there...