Sunday, July 31, 2011

Home Projects...

We are starting some home projects and beginning with our dining room. We are so bad about starting projects and not finishing them. I think every room in our house is half finished. I am hoping that by blogging the process it might be motivational to finish what we start. 

When we first bought our home, 9 years ago, I fell in love with this fireplace. The tiles are so beautiful and green has always been my favorite color. I am going to base my colors of the dining room around these tiles. The bottom tiles were replaced (obviously) and I'm at a loss as to what to do with them. Shall we try painting them or just replacing the outer border altogether? 





The inside of the fireplace needs a good painting also. 






I had to show off our cute Ganesh, that my friend Ashley gave to us. He fits in perfectly on my mantle. 
Thank you Ashley (if you're out there)!


We had our windows replaced recently. We will be painting all of the wood around windows and the bead board. I hate to paint it but it has a lot of flaws and I really want to lighten the room up. 


The paint looks so yucky in these pictures. When we first picked out our paint, Paul talked me into flat paint. I have NEVER liked flat paint. These pictures show why. It looks so dull and dry. It is also terrible if anything gets on it, you can never clean it off. Yack!
We won't be doing that again. 




I want to find a fun color to put on the ceiling too. I will have to work on Paul with that one. He's more simple, simple, simple. :) I like the character of our ceiling in the dining room, but it needs some TLC. 


We need a new door also! I love this door but it's very annoying to not have privacy when someone comes up to it. If I want to pretend I'm not home...that's very hard to do when they can look in and see me lounging around ignoring them..haha. 







I am checking out some fun new design sites to get started on ideas for this room. If you have any to recommend, let me know!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Your home is beautiful, Haley. What a warm and inviting space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sweet Vanessa!!! I wish I felt that way about it. Hopefully that will be changing soon. Stay tuned! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just hang a nice curtain over the door, no need to replace the whole door! You get a rod on top and a rod on bottom and stretch the curtain between. Will block out all those annoying visitors you want to ignore!! I think you should lighten the walls a lot (pale blue or lemony ice color), leave the bead board and windows dark, walls are much easier to paint and I think the contrast will be nice. And paint the ceiling green to match the tiles. I also think you should just paint the tiles to match. I saw some painted tiles recently, and they looked really nice. If they don't match perfect, find a nice basket or piece of art to put there to help mask it. That's my 2 cents worth! Can't believe I've never been to your house in real life!!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment so that I know someone is out there...